Wednesday 20 March 2013

Prince Albert

I don't know if it's the air, the spectacular Swartberg mountains or the sheer nothingness surrounding Prince Albert- perhaps it's the combination.

 As you enter the town everything slows, all you need to do is sit back and enjoy the gentle lulling.


 It had been too long and it was a surprise party for our old mate Gary, we stayed at Lisa's beautiful guest house in the main road 'Onse Rus'

I know they are our friends, but what a fabulous place to stay- just take a look and see for yourselves.

Saturday morning breakfast on the stoep watching the town walk by, a meander to the market and of course, late night drinking in the fairy lit courtyard garden.



 We spent the day on their farm 30 kms outside of Prince Albert, this is the road we took- I know..... I'm sure you could meditate for hours on the serenity of just this picture, but to be sure, 
I'm throwing in the roadside tortoise as well.




We drove past a large fig farm, this was very hard, row upon row of almost ripe large black figs - just as well I wasn't driving.

Almost at end, we veered right to reveal their gorgeous little farm, the horses came to greet us.



 We got to eat some of those figs- stuffed with blue cheese, gently roasted in the weber and then wrapped with black forest ham- I haven't stopped thinking about them.

The art teacher chose the hammock and we all wiled away the afternoon listening to sweet sounds of nothing.

We left at sunset- the horses bid us farewell.



Drive by- drive home



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful African landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful getaway, everything looks absolutely beautiful. I adore figs, and the trees themselves are gorgeous. Reading this makes me want to run out and get some, except they're not in season here. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a small world we live in...6 degrees of separation and all that. I know Onse Rus and its owners well... suffice to say too many years have passed since I was there and far too much distance lies between there and where I now live...sadly...ergo so nice ...nay...special...to be able to dip into their world through your writing and lovely photographs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...